Friday, June 20, 2008

Sea Creatures

Salutations, weblog reader. I hope you are reading this at home and not during working hours because this weblog entry has nothing to do with your job, unless you are a marine biologist. I will allow self-employed people to read, but that is a slippery slope.

Why do Japanese people hate octopi??? I have never understood this. I was reading several Japanese haikus this afternoon and I noticed a very central theme. Sailor marries women, Sailor goes out to sea, octopus kills sailor, giant octopus goes and rapes the widowed wife with its tentacles. This plot doesn’t make any sense. It paints giant octopi as if they’re these terriblecreatures, not content to just kill sailors, but also to seek out and infiltrate the Japanese widows. This baffles me. This saddens me.

The mighty octopus should be respected, not depicted as some horrible marine rapist. If you need to demonize a sea creature, make it the horrendous jellyfish, which provides not jelly but dangerous stings.

Please children, go be friends with the octopi around the world. They will provide you with endless fun by changing colors, and even taste good when properly cooked.